DATE/PLACE OF BIRTH:
December 4, 1930, Nagano-ken, Japan (US Citizen)
B.S. Geophysics, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, 1953
M.S. Geophysics, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, 1957
Ph.D. Geophysics, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, AK, 1961
Director, International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, 1998-present
Director, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, 1986-1999
Head, Department of Physics, University of Alaska-Fairbanks, 1984-86
Distinguished Visiting Scientist, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 1983-present
Professor of Geophysics, Geophysical Institute, 1964-1986
Associate Professor of Geophysics, Geophysical Institute, 1962-64
Assistant Professor of Geophysics, Geophysical Institute, 1961-62
Research Assistant in Geophysics, Geophysical Institute, 1958-61
Senior Research Assistant, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan, 1953-55
Associate Editor, Journal of Geophysical Research, 1972-74
Associate Editor, Journal of Geomagnetism & Geoelectricity, 1972-present
Editorial Advisory Board, Planetary Space Science, 1969-present
Editorial Advisory Board, Space Science Reviews, 1967-77
Member, Editorial Committee, Space Science Reviews, 1977-present
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Geophysical Union
- Inter-Union Commission on Solar-Terrestrial Physics
- International Union of Geomagnetism and Aeronomy
- Phi Kappa Phi Society
- Sigma Xi Society
- Society of Terrestrial Magnetism and Electricity in Japan
AWARDS AND HONORS:
- The Chapman Medal from the Royal Astronomical Society in England, 1976
- The Japan Academy Award, 1977
- Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, 1977
- John Adam Fleming Medal, American Geophysical Union, 1979
- Distinguished Alumnus, University of Alaska, 1980
- The 1,000 Most-Cited Contemporary Scientists (Current Contents), 1981
- Special Lecture for the Emperor of Japan on the aurora, October 3, 1985
- First recipient of the Sydney Chapman Chair professorship, University of Alaska, 1985
- Member of the International Academy of Aeronautics, Paris, 1986
- Fellow of the Arctic Institute of North America, 1987
- "Centennial Alumni", National Assoc. of State Universities & Land Grant Colleges, 1987
- Japan Foreign Minister's Award for Promoting International Relations and Cultural Exchange between Japan and Alaska, 1993
- Japan Posts and Telecommunications Minister Award for Contributions to the US-Japan Joint Project on Environmental Science in Alaska, 1996
- Edith R. Bullock Prize for Excellence, 1997
- Alaskan of the Year-Denali Award, 1999
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2001
- Named One of the World?s Most Cited Authors in Space Physics by Current Contents ISI, 2002
- Aurora Award, Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau, 2003
- The Order of the Sacred Treasure--Gold and Silver Stars, by The Emperor of Japan, 2003
- Akasofu, S.-I., Polar and Magnetospheric Substorms, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1968, (also a Russian edition).
- Akasofu, S.-I., B. Fogle, and B. Haurwitz, Sydney Chapman, Eighty, published by the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the Publishing Service of the University of Colorado, 1968.
- Akasofu, S.-I. and S. Chapman, Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Clarendon Press, Oxford, England, 1972, (also a Russian and Chinese edition).
- Akasofu, S.-I., The Aurora: A Discharge Phenomenon Surrounding the Earth, (in Japanese), Chuo-koran- sha, Tokyo, Japan.
- Akasofu, S.-I., Physics of Magnetospheric Substorms, D. Reidel, Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1977.
- Akasofu, S.-I., Aurora Borealis: The Amazing Northern Lights, Alaska Geographic Society, Alaska Northwest Pub. Co., 6, 2, 1979, (also a Japanese edition).
- Akasofu, S.-I. (ed.), Dynamics of the Magnetosphere, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1979.
- Akasofu, S.-I. and J.R. Kan (eds.), Physics of Auroral Arc Formation, Am. Geophys. Union, Washington, D.C., 1981.
- Akasofu, S.-I. and Y. Kamide (eds.), The Solar Wind and the Earth, Geophys. Astrophys. Monographs, Terra Scientific Pub. Co., Tokyo, Japan, and D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1987.
- Akasofu, S.-I., Secrets of the Aurora Borealis, Alaska Geographic Society, Banta Publications Group/Hart Press, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2002.
- Akasofu, S.-I. Exploring the Secrets of the Aurora, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, 2002.
Over 550 Published Articles